Providence Criminal Defense Firm
Proudly Representing Cases in Providence, Bristol, Newport, Kent, and Washington Counties
Being accused of a crime is one of the most harrowing things a person can experience. The prospect of jail time and social ostracization upon a conviction should make fighting your criminal charges your number one priority, whether you are guilty or innocent.
The criminal justice system in our country is focused on punishment rather than rehabilitation. Public defenders are overworked and underpaid. It is easy to feel as though there is no one to advocate for the accused. Fortunately, a private criminal defense attorney can help build your case and may even be able to get the charges against you dropped.
If you are looking for an attorney who is well-versed in criminal law and has an excellent track record in court, you will want to hire Brett V. Beaubien. Mr. Beaubien handles all aspects of criminal defense from trial to appeals. He is extremely knowledgeable and experienced in Rhode Island and Massachusetts state law as well as federal criminal law. He handles drug crimes, gun crimes, sex crimes, fraud charges, assault and battery, disorderly conduct, domestic violence offenses, and a wide range of other criminal offenses.
Discuss your arrest and charges in a free initial consultation with our criminal defense attorney in Providence. We can be reached via email or by phone at (401) 213-0771. Hablamos español.
Criminal Cases We Handle
No matter what criminal accusations you face, Mr. Beaubien will work tirelessly to build a case aimed at securing the best possible result. Our staff understands every area of criminal law.
Examples of criminal charges we defend include:
- Assault and battery. If you threaten or attempt to hurt others with physical violence, you may be convicted of assault. If you make actual physical contact with the alleged victim, causing any type of injury, it is considered battery. More often than not, these two crimes go hand in hand. Even though an assault charge can be the result of something as simple as a bar fight, you may end up with a criminal record because of it. A criminal defense attorney can advocate for you in court and may get the charges dropped or reduced.
- Cyber Harassment. Cyberbullying is a surprisingly common charge in the state of Rhode Island. Cyber harassment is defined as the transmission of electronic communication to harass someone. The laws pertaining to cyberbullying are new and open to interpretation. A well-trained attorney may be able to use the ambiguity of the law to help your defense.
- Drug crimes. The type of drug you are charged with having in your possession can affect the sentence you receive in a drug crime conviction. As with any crime, previous offenses you have will make a big impact on the sentence you will receive. Our firm will research every law and every angle about your case that can be used in building your defense.
- Drunk driving defense. If you have been charged with a DUI, you are undoubtedly concerned with fees, license suspension, and even potential jail time. We will research every aspect of your case to fight back against inaccurate test results, improper police procedures, and more that can negate your charges and keep you on the road.
- Firearm violations. Both state and local laws regulate gun control, from the number of weapons you may have to the kinds of weapons you may possess. These laws change constantly, making it easy to violate them. Our team understands how confusing gun laws can be and will fight for your firearm charges to be dropped or reduced.
- Larceny and embezzlement. Laws regarding larceny and embezzlement can be complex and lead to convictions that have the stigma of dishonesty. Mr. Beaubien understands the laws pertaining to all kinds of theft and what is necessary to prove or disprove these charges in both Rhode Island and Massachusetts.
- Probation violations. Probation involves compliance with all of the terms and conditions issued by the court. Missing appointments with your probation officer or other lapses can lead to penalties and jail. Attorney Beaubien is adept at negotiating with the courts for leniency on behalf of clients accused of any violation.
- Sex offenses. Crimes such as child molestation and child pornography are considered so heinous that a person accused of these crimes is often convicted in the court of public opinion long before they go to trial. If you are convicted of a sex crime, you not only face jail time, fines and probation, you may end up paying for the conviction forever. You may have to register as a sex offender and be denied employment and housing because of your conviction. Mr. Beaubien will research your case and present a compelling argument in your defense.
- Appeals. You can appeal a judge or jury’s conviction in many circumstances. If a witness lied on the stand, if evidence that should not have been admissible was used in the trial, or if new evidence is introduced in your trial, it may be in your best interest to appeal the decision. Massive paperwork is needed in any appeal case and our trained appellate attorney will research every element of the law and cases like yours to seek a compelling reason to get you a second trial.
- Restraining orders. These orders are common in domestic violence cases in which your activities are severely restricted regarding the “protected” person. Unfortunately, these orders can be weaponized against you when exaggerations, falsehoods, and misrepresentations are used by your accuser. Our attorney can help you fight back against such ploys so that your freedom and rights are not violated.
- Expungement. You may be able to get your criminal record sealed or expunged through a legal process. Our attorney can determine if you qualify and help you navigate the process that will result in a better future going forward.
- Massachusetts criminal defense. Our attorney also represents clients in our neighboring state of Massachusetts. We maintain an office in the center of Bristol County in Fall River. If you have been accused of breaking the law in Massachusetts, get a professional opinion and advice about your case from The Law Office of Brett V. Beaubien.
Ready to Get Started? Call Today!
Being charged with a crime is a life-changing and threatening experience. Don’t move forward without speaking with a legal professional who understands your situation and who can advise you on how best to handle it. Mr. Beaubien is a criminal defense attorney with a proven track record whose professionalism has been recognized by many legal industry directories and rating organizations. He combines savvy advocacy with genuine care for serving your best interests in both state and federal criminal cases.